Friday, February 19, 2010

CI 5410 Week 5.2 - Poem #4; "Real Job"

Real Job

“I hope you’re doing this for the right reasons.”
She told me.
“And not just trying to put off getting a real job.”

A real job?

A real job?

What job is more real than using what little I have
to give something
to give anything
to another?

And I’m not talking about giving money
or toys
or fashions
or anything that one may use as ammunition against another.

I’m talking about giving freedom
hope
love
safety
a future
even if it’s only for 50 minutes a day.

What job is more real than using what little I have
but seeing the same things day in
and day out?
racism
hatred
discrimination
even when people say that it’s not intended.

Nah
It’s fake
Baby
Just as fake as the real world that you live in

So if it makes you feel any better
I’ve made it all up
Just like I’ve made up my mind.

No comments: