Monday, November 2, 2009

CI 5475 Week 10 - "Everybody Writes" Episode ONE & Reflection

PODCAST

Bellow is episode #1 of the UMN Center for Writing's unofficial (at least for now) titled podcast "Everybody Writes." NOTE: This project was just a trial run. Enhanced sound quality and editing to come soon.

Click here to listen!

Click here to subscribe OR copy and paste the Bellow URL into your RSS aggregator!

http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/generateRSS.php?podcast_id=499

----------------------------------------

GENERAL REFLECTION

Overall, the technical experience of creating my podcast went very smooth as I am not necessarily a stranger to audio production and editing; since I've started playing instruments and music at a very young age, I've been exposed to and found it extremely interesting to create and manipulate audio productions via software programs of varying complexities including Cakewalk, Sonar, and even Pro Tools. As such, I have gained much experience with the technical AND performance sides of creating, mixing, and editing musical audio compositions.

A little shameless plug...



Although I feel that these pre-existing technical proficiencies were definitely helpful to the audio task at hand, I was relatively shocked to experience how difficult it was to perform an otherwise non-musical, more monologue-esque piece of audio. In other words, where I otherwise do not have a problem composing, performing, and technically manipulating musical and vocal compositions in the form of short songs and instrumentals, I found it very difficult to perform a more non-musical, spoken monologue sort of composition. In fact, I found myself frequently stuttering, losing my train of thought, and getting relatively nervous; an emotion I typically do not experience while performing music.

After reflecting on these shocking differences in my performance (shocking at least from my perspective), I argue that musical and non-musical tasks require different sets of literacies to successfully compose, perform, and manipulate. For example, I typically do not engage in much (if any at all) pre-writing and / or practicing said pre-writing when it comes to my musical compositions and performances. Although I have an extremely rough idea and structure for the end product I aim to achieve, I typically plug myself in, hit the record button, and just play for fear that any more detailed planning may squelch my creativity. However, this practice did not positively translate to my more non-musical, spoken monologue podcast composition and performance. Because I didn't do much (let alone any) practice with the pre-written podcast script that I created before hand, I found it very, very difficult to perform said script in a fluid, engaging, and otherwise "audience friendly" manner. In other words, the creative "wiggle room" that I find so necessary in composing and performing music was not beneficial to the composition and performance of my podcast. The improvisational skills that I feel come so naturally to me in performing music did not come to me while performing my podcast.

In short, given this experience, I have learned that I need to practice more pre-writing and review strategies to build similar performance and improvisational literacies with non-musical, spoken monologues often utilized in podcasts!

----------------------------------------

TEACHING IDEAS

  • Maycomb County Radio Shows

During a unit on Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, I'd like to have students form small groups to compose and perform short radio shows addressing the various goings on and central issues occurring in Maycomb County throughout the novel. In doing this activity, instructors could also integrate a sort of perspective taking angle by having students adopt certain roles from the text, responding to county issues during their radio show via the voice of their roles. For example, in a given group's radio show, students could address Tom Robinson's trial from the differing perspectives of Bob Ewell, Atticus Finch, or even Tom Robinson himself! Although the form of each podcast does not necessarily have to take the form of a news program, this is the first format that jumped to mind. To explore and decide upon an appropriate format, teachers and students could first sample and explore different sorts of genres including tech talk, educational talk, various news reports, and so on; whatever genres teachers feel are relevant to the novel. Students could then practice the podcasting literacies I explore above by mining the text for evidence, pre-writing their roles and scripts, practicing this pre-writing, creatively performing it, and later editing it into a final product; their Maycomb County Radio Show.

  • Paperless Research Project; Social Activism & Application

Throughout my teaching program, my colleagues and I have talked extensively about the importance of applying whatever is being learned in class to create change around some sort of relevant, real world issue. I see no better vehicle for accomplishing this application-based task than using podcasts.

For example, as part of a research project, students could create podcasts vs. traditional research papers on any given issue for their final product / summative assessment. Via the creation of specific segments in their podcasts, students could demonstrate the research they have done, their overall understanding of the material, as well as USE their research to create a REAL broadcast to inform, convince, and persuade audiences around a given issue. If students perceive that they are writing for a larger audience who will ACTUALLY care about what they have to say than just the teacher, perhaps students will be more motivated and engaged with the research topics they chose. I know I would be! Too bad podcasting wasn't necessarily around when I was completing my k-12 education!

IMAGES USED

http://upsenglish.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/harper-lee.jpg

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I agree that it feels bizarre to sit down and deliver a monologue into the mic on the computer. I'm so used to being able to read my student's faces, and know whether or not they are interested, bored, tired, appreciative, laughing, or whatever.

Your idea of the radio show is very good. I've done a similar "talk show" activity for different novels, and it would be nice to have an activity where students sho their knowledge of both the novel and the digital writing tools.